Sunday, November 9, 2014

Procardia

It is amazing all the fancy medical terms one can learn laying around the hospital. Today we learned about the medicine Procardia. This is the anti-contraction medicine they wanted to start me on a few days ago. Turns out, however, that being a young, "healthy" woman can make taking Procardia a challenge. I already have a naturally low blood pressure, I would like to thank yoga, Zumba, and stalking the dog park, and Procardia works by lowering your blood pressure even more. I guess there are times, though, when stopping contractions means more than keeping the "momma" awake in a non-passed out form. After Noah gallantly swore that he was going absolutely nowhere and would monitor my moments of freedom (aka: the only time I get to move... bathroom breaks), the doctors handed over the Procardia. So far I haven't passed out or really seen a drop in my blood pressure. This is great news because Procardia can be taken over a longer time frame than our beloved Indocin. We are now on to the third Procardia for the day and anxiously awaiting our next dose. I can very much feel that it is not working as well as the Indocin, but I hope it is doing enough to allow Acorn to keeping growing.

Some small accomplishments we had today:
1) One side of my hair got braided! I now only look like a crazy person when laying on my left side.
2) We created a "schedule" and almost stuck to it. It is amazing how quickly your life can start to revolve around ordering your meals from dining services.
3) Noah was able to take a breather at home as my cousin (who has been an amazing source of support) came and sat/babysat me for an hour or two.

A few shout-outs (certainly not all inclusive!):
1) Thanks to my mom for the amazing manicure! Everyone has mentioned they love the color :-)
2) Thanks for the awesome slippers. They've been indispensable.
3) The brownies and cookies were a Godsend.
4) Thank you so much for the flowers! My love of being outdoors is being a bit challenged at the moment. The flowers have attracted a few ladybugs, which seem to bother Noah but I don't mind at all.

I think I hear them rolling the ultrasound machine down the hall, so I'll sign off for the night. Here's to hoping for no contractions!

Praise God for 23 weeks and 2 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment