Saturday, December 27, 2014

30 Weeks

Happy Post-Christmas! I hope everyone enjoyed the time with loved ones and was able to relax. Noah and I cooked an obscenely large ham, which goes perfectly with the food saver Noah gave me for Christmas :-) I've spent the last few days Pintresting (yes, that is a word now) and found some great freezer recipes for ham. Of course, I can't actually get in the kitchen to make or prep them, but I believe in my ability to dictate from the couch ;-)

More important than ham though, Baby Acorn has passed the 30 week mark! We are solidly into the third trimester and let me tell you, Acorn has quite the kick. Maybe we will have a little athlete on our hands (not that Noah and I would know what to do with an athletic child. Obviously he will need to pick a sport that has a pep band so we can at least pretend to understand some of what is going on)! At 30 weeks, Acorn is likely over 3 lbs, between 12-15 inches long, actually has some body fat (woot! This is a VERY good thing), his brain is started to get all wrinkly and prepping to learn lots of things, and his bone marrow has taken over producing his red blood cells. Despite all this good progress (do you remember 22 weeks and 4 days? I do.), he still has a long way to go. His retinas are still developing so he would be at a higher risk for vision issues down the line. At 30 weeks, a baby is also not prepared to suck and breath at the same time so he would still require a feeding tube. A 30 week preemie would still require a long NICU stay, but significantly less medical intervention. Yay!

We continue to have the weekly visits with my doctor. The visits wear me out (3 day recovery this time) but I love the chance to get outside. It is still unnerving to see "high risk" every time they hand me the paperwork, but the doctors are feeling fairly confident that I will reach the 36 benchmark. In fact, they have now taken to seriously "joking" about inducing labor at 41 weeks. Ha ha ha...not. With the spirit that Acorn is coming at a reasonable time, I've put up a new poll - let the betting begin ;-)

Me at 30 weeks:

Noah gearing up for tonight's game in a Christmas present:

No comments:

Post a Comment