Saturday, February 21, 2015

The First Week Back

I am only going to say this once, so listen closely, I may have slightly overestimated my ability to pop back from 15ish weeks of bed rest. There, I said it, never again.

Returning to work was rough (read: very rough) but I think very much worth it. My supervisors graciously (and perhaps understanding the last few weeks of pregnancy a bit better than myself) found me a desk I could "squat" in just a block down the road from Noah's work. This has been a life-saver! I am only able to work 6 hours a day, which means I usually have about an hour to kill before Noah gets off. What this really means is I've been able to waddle my way to all the local coffee shops and have rekindled my love for Starbucks hot chocolate. Of course, the temperatures were brutal this week, so a hot chocolate was definitely necessary every afternoon since my HC PR Council coat no longer (and hasn't for a while) zips over my belly.

The people who I am sitting with are fantastic. They made me put up sticky notes with Noah's multiple phone numbers in case of "go-time." They are well aware of my hospital of choice and have already made a plan to roll me out of the building on a rolling chair to meet Noah in case of emergency. They are also absolutely convinced that I am not going to make it to my due date (I hope they are right!). In true work fashion, they are trying to draft me to their team. My Friday ended on a high note with the HR Department approving me for additional voluntary leave donations (VLTP), so hopefully I will be able to receive a few more hours.

I know I have definitely reached the "undeniably pregnant stage." It is so funny to see people skirting me in the hallways and/or asking if I need emergency help. I mean, yes, I huff and puff when I walk and I have quite the waddle, but I wasn't aware that I looked THAT pregnant ;-) It was a bit sad on Wednesday (my first day back since the government was closed on Tuesday) when I realized I did not fit down the walkway between the cubicles. Never thought I would see the day.... Poor little guy gets pushed up against the wall every time I need to move. I also discovered that using the handicap bathroom means I don't have to make a 15 point turn to get into the teeny tiny stalls. The best, though, has been the security guards who look legitimately concerned every day that I am going to get stuck in the security turnstiles; that would happen to me so I can't discount their fears.

Noah has been fantastic with the transitions this week! He made all the meals, helped me pick my clothes, and has been super understanding when all I am able to do is collapse on the couch in pain and contractions at the end of the day. He even stayed up obscenely late last night to clean the house since I have been panicking about going into labor and having a messy house. Today he drove me through the snow storm to help me prep my feet for delivery with a fish pedicure from Groupon. One more thing off our to-do list.

13 days!

2 comments:

  1. A fish pedicure?! Pretty sure they don't have those in NE! The end is rough friend, but you and your humor are rocking it. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhhh... fish pedicure? PASS! I CANNOT believe you did that. :)

    ReplyDelete